Saturday, February 02, 2008

Living Life - Upside Down!

No it doesn't mean I hang from the rafters as I go through my day. Nor does it mean that I have one of those crazy urges that make me walk on my hands (I don't see a reason esp since I have two perfectly servicable legs).



I live in India, and work for a company in California . So if I have to work 9am through 5pm like normal Californians do, would mean I have to work local time 2230 through 0630. Oh and for the record, I have been doing this since Oct 2006 .



This means that I am up through the night and sleeping through the day. Now I have heard a lot of people tell me how its not right and how humans are meant to sleep at night and work during the day... about how the sleep of the night is true sleep and sleeping during the day is not the same. Damn it!! I knew my sleep was ripping me off!!



Sleep is important to me as almost anyone who knows me will testify. The level of my grumpiness can be measured by the lack of hours of sleep I have had. I NEED MY 8 HOURS. Some people may argue that 8 hours for an adult is too much but hey I been sleeping exactly 8 hours since I was 6.



I have had friends who have falled ill after working for a couple of months through the night and one thing I have noticed is that they do it wrong. They keep telling themselves that they are doing the unnatural thing and try to pick on the day when the wake up.



The key to getting this right is in fooling your body (and body clock) to not think that its lost half a day but instead go through your normal routine albeit assways. For eg. if you wake up and head to the gym in the morning... do that when you wake up in the afternoon as well. Don't compromise on your daily routine thinking that you've lost (a part of) the day.



My day goes some what like this...



I wake up at 3... and take an hour to wake up :) which is also the time the maid comes in to clean. So I finish the wake up rituals and by the time she is done... I am ready to head to the gym. Workout is usually about an hour and a half after which I head to my neighbourhood cafe to cool off and catch up on my emails on phone. This time is spent making calls, answering emails and drinking 2 glasses of juice . After this I head home, and do all the little things that need be done while waiting for the water to heat up slightly and also breakfast. Shower takes about 15 mins , 20 if I have to shave (which is something I do once in 2 weeks :D ). Out of the shower, time to run my errands or go hang with my friends whichever is on for that day.Home by 830 giving me enough time to make lunch and prep for work. Work from about 2130.... with lunch at around midnight..... well you get the drift.



So take control of your body clock and make it work for you. And more importantly... stop calling me Newspaper Delivery/Owl/Gurkha etc. I mean it. Stop it already! SILENCE!!! I KILL YOU!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Poorna Banerjee said...

yes right and here I was prepared to call you nightcrawler. But you go like..."Stoppit awlready" and other comments. I SO TOTALLY KNOW where you are coming from. The last 9 months were exactly how I spent my nights. And I loved them. Yeah yeah, et tu brute and all. But hey, nice to see you blog after so long.

2:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home